Thursday, August 16, 2012

Things They Need to Hear Thursdays: Facebook Christians Edition

Dear Facebook Christians,

Don't post your preachy bullshit all over the place if you don't even have the balls to engage in respectful discourse. Every time I post a reply to one of your absurd assertions I get absolutely no response. It's not an admirable thing to just put "I believe this" out there and then not be willing or able to back yourself up. I'm not trying to fight or be disrespectful, I just want to exchange opinions with someone whose beliefs differ from my own because that shit is fascinating to me. I know that the whole world has to agree with us now, but sometimes it's good for everyone to express WHY they hold their beliefs instead of just state them. Jesus doesn't give a shit that you posted a "witty" poorly photoshopped support thingy of Chik-fil-A's hatred. Jesus wasn't a hater. The fact that you stand up in his name and hate others is ridiculous. I don't even believe in your bullshit, but I know more about it than you if you truly think that is something your "savior" would have ever done. The point of this being: argue with me or shut the fuck up.

Sincerely,
Better at your religion than you 

It has been a damn long time, but the stars have aligned; it is Thursday, I'm working an overnight shift, and I have people to bitch about. I don't know that any of you are as hateful as me, so maybe the jumping off point I'm about to explain won't make a whole lot of sense to you and for that I apologize. There is a woman my mom used to work with that I am friends with on Facebook; I take all of my random rage out on her. She is just a huge stereotype...literally huge (that was a low blow, I know (but that rhymes so I think that negates it)). She's all Jesus-y and absurdly Republican. She represents a whole subset of the population that have their heads so far up their own asses they can't even a remember a time when they didn't bask in their own shit. She posts ridiculous assertions and then when I present an alternate viewpoint I get no response at all. Does she truly believe if she ignores me then I don't exist and she must be right? I hate that refusal to acknowledge other opinions; it's weak, it reflects poorly on you and your beliefs. I'm not in any way saying I hate all Christians; some of the best people I've ever known have identified as such. I am referring almost exclusively to this woman and others of her ilk that post their hate all over a public forum and then ignore any disagreement.

1 comment:

  1. If it makes you feel better, I believe that I'm a terrible person who's still better than everyone else, so you can't really be the terrible person you think you are. Read my last week of blogs sometime...I really am an asshole.

    Also, I used to feel the same way about the Christian subset, but none of them would ever step up and engage in some honest apologetics, so I wrote them off as anti-intellectual and moved on. If you want an honest religious debate, find someone who goes to church regularly but doesn't identify as devoutly religious. They are the most open and honest and happy to engage you.

    ReplyDelete